The History of Richfield Plantation
Read Magazine Article
A visit to Richfield Plantation is like traveling back in time to a place that was almost forgotten - but not quite!
Richfield Plantation, situated within the little community of McPhersonville, just outside of Yemassee, South Carolina, was originally built by John White Gregorie in 1875.
The property was acquired by John White Gregorie's great-great-grandsons - Melvin, Gregorie and Harry Lane - in 2006 and has since been beautifully and extensively renovated into a masterpiece and silent spokesman of history brought into modern day.
The lawn and grounds are surrounded by majestic oaks allowing cool shade on warm, sunny days. Inside the house, the beauty of the original materials of the home is simultaneously comforting and awe-inspiring. When walking up the stairs to the second floor, it's hard to ignore the worn edges of the (original) sturdy and handsome staircase that perhaps another bride and groom sailed up in a hurry to ready themselves for their "special day" ceremony.
Hanging overhead in the foyer is an antique brass and crystal chandelier that once upon a time met loved ones upon their arrival home and bathed them in light while they wiped their shoes on a carpet covering the heart of pine floors. Even the fireplaces seem to hold onto memories of family times spent singing melodies of old around the piano. The new kitchen with its commercial applicances has a separate entrance as was customary in its historical times. One can almost hear the men coming in after a successful hunt with several turkeys ready to be cleaned and served in the magnificent dining room with its high ceilings.
Adjacent to the property is the beautiful Sheldon Chapel where wedding ceremonies can be held. Burned during the Civil War and then rebuilt in 1893, it now has electricity and central heat and air. Twelve miles away are the Old Sheldon Church Ruins where Old Sheldon Church once stood. Burned twice, once during the Revolutionary War and again during the Civil War, its walls still stand, even though it's never been rebuilt. In today's modern times, it's a beautiful and peaceful place for an outdoor wedding.